Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Mom with Narcolepsy

My plan with this blog is well...to actually use it, but other than that, to catalog my journey through pregnancy and motherhood as a mom with narcolepsy.

My biggest motivation for this blog is that I could not find any like it. Because I've only been diagnosed for 8 months, and pregnant for 2 of those, I don't have a very good handle on everything narcolepsy. I figured it would be good to see how other MWN (Mothers with Narcolepsy) have handled everything from pregnancy to late night feedings and everything in between. I have looked so many places and there just isn't anything there.

So, here it goes.

The first two months have been...different. When we first found out, I stopped taking my medication. Taking narcotics while pregnant is not the best thing. I was delighted to find out that I was not sleepy, even without medication. Much to my surprise, I was able to take a two hour trip to and from CoMo without being the least bit tired. This was huge! I was so excited. This lasted for about a month and a half.

Last week everything changed. The sleepiness is back full force, driving is getting harder, and to add to that I have major morning sickness and daily migraines which only make you want to sleep more.

According to my sleep doctor, there is nothing I can do medication wise to help with the extreme sleepiness and I'm okay with that. I dealt with these symptoms throughout my entire undergrad schooling and my first semester of grad school. I'm used to it. I don't like it, or any of the other symptoms, but I am determined to stay positive. This is all a necessary piece of becoming a mom, and while it may not be fun, it is all worth it.

My hope is that this blog will not only help me keep track of what works and what doesn't during this new adventure, but may also someday help other moms in the same situation.


No comments:

Post a Comment